Sunday, April 20, 2008

Exposing corruption... by being corrupt?

The Cambridge Times has an interesting comment from a local MP, Gary Goodyear, on the recent RCMP raid at the Conservative Party's Ottawa headquarters:
Although some argue over the political timing, Goodyear said it was the Conservatives who actually brought the campaign finance issue to the fore when it filed a claim against Elections Canada to seek reimbursement for advertising expenses. The Conservatives have taken the matter to Federal Court.
As a friend of mine points out, when a party that's accused of illegal activities claims credit for drawing attention to the problem, it's a bit like a drunk driver saying "Without people like me going out and killing people every so often, they'd never do anything about drunk driving!" Takes a certain amount of chutzpah to say something like that.

On the home front, packing and preparation, including trying to balance quality time with friends (some of whom are incompatible with one another) continues apace. I actually had to work Saturday of all days, because we were still doing surveys at the Centre Wellington landfill, asking everyone who showed up with garbage or recycling a short questionnaire and putting their garbage and putting it in our truck if they gave certain answers (very few people were actually sampled). On the plus side, this means I'll get tomorrow off, so I'll have the opportunity to do a lot of preparation.

Among the things I must do is to decide whether or not to keep my bike, and to get a bike rack for my car if I do decide to keep it. It's a good, solid, reliable bike, in excellent mechanical condition, and has rendered yeoman service over the last four years. On the other hand, it only cost me $50 at a yard sale, and I am reminded of the reason for this low price each time I have to pedal it up a significant hill or carry it up or down a flight of stairs. Of course, significant hills are not exactly common in Winnipeg, but staircases are. And it's been pointed out to me that a bike rack for a car is one of those things that you almost never use as much as you think you will. This is doubly true for me, since although I use my bike a lot, it's usually because I want to get somewhere, and driving out to Bird's Hill to ride my bike around isn't the sort of thing I'm liable to do.

No comments: