Saturday, July 7, 2007

I dodged a bullet

Actually, I dodged it last October, but only got confirmation today. At that time (and no, I wasn't doing much blogging at that time, so it's not mentioned there) I was working on a project in Toronto and got pricked with a little lancet of the type diabetics use to prick their fingers to test their blood sugar. I was never too concerned (I'd have been much more worried if it was a syringe from the high-rise blocks at Jane and Finch, for instance) but it was lingering in the back of my mind for the last seven months or so. Since the incubation period for HIV and hepatitis is long, I had to wait until now to verify that I'm okay. I was never worried about HIV (the virus' life expectancy when exposed to air is measured in minutes) but hepatitis B and C can last months, or so I'm told, so the risk was there. But I'm clean, so for better or for worse my existence is likely to continue for quite some time (unless I do something stupid like, say, getting a fatal case of heat stroke this weekend).

No comments: