Thursday, September 13, 2007

And it continues...

It doesn't seem quite as bad today, perhaps because it's almost Friday. We are, however, losing one of our temps tomorrow, as he has an appointment with his probation officer. Today went well, albeit in a way that will make another day (yet to be determined) unpleasant. You see, someone with the city failed to give their haulers a holler to let them know not to collect the recyclables from the buildings we're auditing. As a result, we were done by 4 PM, whereas we were expecting to have to carry some over to Friday. The problem is, we still have to audit recyclables from that building, so we'll likely have to come back a third week to do it (we were going to be back next week regardless).

I still feel the usual work-related malaise, but at least I'll be free around 24 hours from now (well, actually a bit more, since 24 hours from now I'll probably be on the 401 driving the piece-of-shit van back to the office and hoping that its faulty speedometer doesn't bring me grief). Then I'll be able to go home and get wasted with my disreputable friends. Hey, I can't really hope for too many higher pleasures, so I might as well get good and high.

2 comments:

Ixion said...

Just think, now you drive up and down the strip o' asphalt formerly known as the 401 you can ponder the valiant sacrifices made by our brave and noble Canadian forces in Afghanistan. ["Ontario to dedicate Highway of Heroes in honour of soldiers felled in Afghanistan" at http://www.cbc.ca/cp/national/070823/n082382A.html]

Of course, living just outside the belly of the beast, as you insist on doing, I'm sure you already know all about this typical bit of Tory jingoism. During a discussion regarding the name change [on Sounds like Canada this morning], people actually raised their voices and were kind of short with each other. It was like Canada Reads except it involved an imperialist land grab in the Middle East and the participants [of the discussion] seemed genuinely pissed off at each other by the end of the segment.

nitroglycol said...

Yeah, except that I'll be going down the wrong stretch of the highway. The part they're renaming is the stretch from CFB Trenton in Quinte West, where they land, to Toronto, where they do the autopsies. I did drive down that stretch of highway a few times, though, on the way to Pembroke.

I kind of wish I'd heard that SLC broadcast, partly because I'd take a perverse pleasure in hearing poor Shelagh try to cope with people who were actually [gasp] pissed off.