Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I still hate my job

This job is getting to me. Well no, actually it got to me long ago.

The temps are tolerably competent, but they have a tendency to "duck the fog" unless we are on their asses constantly. It's going to be a long week. Furthermore, next week there's an excellent chance that I'll be spending my evenings finishing a report.

It occurs to me that my attempt to improve my lot by going back to school and becoming an environmental technician has actually led to less job satisfaction than I got out of working in call centres, and hasn't done much for my wages either. Admittedly, I'm now actually doing something useful, but that seems like cold comfort when you're digging through hundreds of kilos per day of congealed shite, and not even able to sleep in your own bed afterwards. I'm going to have to do something about this, though I'm not at all sure what.

One factoid that you hear periodically is that the majority of people nowadays will change careers several times in their lifetimes. What is left unsaid is how many of those people actually experience an improvement in their quality of life as a result of these career changes. I fear it's not very many.

2 comments:

Whippersnapper said...

CODE BREAKING!!!

I sound a little glib, but I really don't mean to. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to make a career change down the road too, so I really do feel your pain.

If it makes you feel any better, I'd kill to spend a night in a hotel at this point. You should SEE this place.

nitroglycol said...

I still wonder about that code breaking thing. It might be worth pursuing, but there's part of me that thinks that even if it's good now, it might not be for long, because the skill could quickly become obsolete. I suspect that high-end computers will be able to crack most ciphers by brute force in a few years, if they can't already... especially if quantum computing gets off the ground.