Tuesday, June 5, 2007

And so it continues...

I have a great idea for an online game. I'm not tech-savvy enough to actually create it, but someone should take this idea and run with it. It would work like this: You would upload a photo of your boss, enter with some general details (age, sex, height, weight, etc) and some fancy-schmancy software would generate a 3-D model based on the photo and data you provide. Then you would be able to inflict whatever torment your fantasies can provide (bamboo shoots under the fingernails, a jalapeƱo and LSD enema, cutting off bodily parts, etc) without the annoying legal repercussions that would result from actually fulfilling your fantasy.

As you might guess, I'm again feeling rather sick of my job. The actual sorts haven't been too bad, but the last couple of evenings have been spent working on other projects (mostly data entry, but there's been some additional shite from that project that was plaguing me up in Pembroke). The whole career change idea keeps coming back into my head, though I kind of think I should try to find another job in my current field first. But I'm coming to believe that fieldwork is a young person's game, and so I'm currently looking at office jobs that are related to the field I'm in now. Unfortunately, most of the ones on the job boards are either jobs like my current one, or else call centre jobs that happen to be specialized in this field (hooray, I could be the person who answers the phone when you call to whine about your garbage collection being late). Even that, though, seems like it would be an improvement. It wouldn't offer much room for advancement, but I have to wonder how much room I have for advancement where I am now.

I've gone as far as checking the library science programs at universities that offer them, but they seem to want someone with a 4-year degree, not two 3-year degrees and an incomplete masters' degree. They might be willing to make an exception, though, so I intend to look into it further. The thing is, that would require going further into hock with OSAP, as well as relocating (the nearest schools that offer such a degree are in Toronto and London; and neither of Winnipeg's universities offer it either). And I'd like to think I'd be employable in the field afterwards- after all, there are so many schools, universities, and municipalities in this country that surely one of them would hire me. Sure, it might mean living in a place like Dauphin or Meaford, but I think I could live with that... at least for a while.

No comments: